Celtic advance to Last 16

Bloemfontein Celtic defeated SuperSport United 5-4 on penalties following a 1-1 draw in the Nedbank Cup Last 32 match at the Dr Molemela Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The win sees Phunya Sele Sele advanced to the Last 16, while Matsatsantsa bowed out of the competition.

The match got off to a lively start with Phunya Sele Sele looking to apply some pressure a Matsatsantsa team which was largely made up of fringe players.

The hosts were awarded a penalty after Celtic winger Menzi Masuku was fouled inside the SuperSport box by Onismor Bhasera in the 17th minute.

Ndumiso Mabena then stepped up and the experienced forward was denied by SuperSport goalkeeper Thakasani Mbanjwa, who was making his debut, from the spot-kick.

The visitors had a chance to break the deadlock on the half-hour mark, but Kingston Nkhatha fired straight at Celtic keeper Patrick Tignyemb, who made an easy save.

With the halftime break fast approaching, Phunya Sele Sele were awarded another penalty after Bhasera had fouled Masuki again in the box.

This time Mabena made no mistake from the spot-kick as he beat Mbanjwa from the spot-kick to make it 1-0 to Celtic 36th minute.

Celtic were leading 1-0 at halftime after containing SuperSport, who defeated Phunya Sele Sele 4-2 in an Absa Premiership match in Tshwane last weekend.

The visitors pushed for the equalising goal after the restart with SuperSport striker Darren Smith missing the target with a good effort in the 52nd minute.

Pressure mounted on Phunya Sele Sele and in the 58th minute, Matsatsantsa managed to restore parity through Sipho Mbule, who beat Mbanjwa to make it 1-1.

Eric Tinkler's men then looked to take the lead for the first time with Smith forcing Celtic keeper Patrick Tignyemb in the 66th minute.

Celtic reacted by introducing Given Mashikenya in the closing stages of the game as Phunya Sele Sele looked to contain Matsatsantsa.

Both teams launched late attacks, but they could not score and the match ended in a 1-1 draw in regulation time and extra-time followed.

Phunya Sele Sele and Matsatsantsa struggled to create clear-cut chances in extra-time and ultimately, the game ended in a 1-1 draw, and a penalty shootout followed.

Celtic went on to win 5-4 on penalties after Derwin Farmer's penalty was saved by Tignyemb, who then scored the winning penalty for Phunya Sele Sele.

Celtic (1) 1 (Mabena 36')

SuperSport (0) 1 (Mbule 58')

Celtic: Tingyemb, Molekwane, Rihkotso, Gordinho, Pfumbidazi, Phalane, Baloyi, Masuku (Mashikinya 83'), Motshegwa (Dlamini 107'), Nemukondeni (Letsoalo 57'), Mabena.

SuperSport: Mbanjwa, Nhlapo, Egwuekwe, Farmer, Bhasera, Mokoena, Mokeke (Boateng 46'), Webber (Dlala 74'), Mbule, Smith, Nkhatha (Kekana 111').