More upsets in #TKO2016 quarter-finals

There were 14 goals scored in a thrilling weekend of Telkom Knockout quarter-final action as two of the big guns fell to leave the competition more open heading into the semi-finals later this month.

Defending champions Mamelodi Sundowns and record winners Kaizer Chiefs were both knocked out, with the likes of Free State Stars and Cape Town City reaching the last four.

The biggest surprise over the weekend came on Sunday when Amakhosi were beaten 6-5 by Ea Lla Koto on penalties following a thrilling 2-2 draw at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban.

The Soweto giants, who were using the east coast venue as their alternate home ground, fell behind to a Bokang Thlone (9) goal.

And the 13-time competition continued to trail until the final seven minutes when Mitchell Katsvairo (83) handed them a lifeline.

But Thokozani Sekotlong (98) restored the lead early in extra time, before Erick Mathoho (108) again drew Chiefs level.

It was a the lottery of penalties thereafter with Thela Ngobeni saving twice from Lorenzo Gordinho and William Twala to secure the upset win.

Reigning champions Sundowns also fell to penalties after their match against SuperSport United, which was the Tshwane derby, ended goalless in Atteridgeville.

Anthony Laffor, Thabo Nthethe and Sibusiso Vilakazi then all missed from the 12-yard spot to hand Matsatsantsa a 3-1 triumph.

There were no such problems for coach-less Orlando Pirates after they avoided any banana skins to progress with a 2-1 triumph over Highlands Park at Orlando Stadium.

An Augustine Mbara (39) own goal and a Tendai Ndoro (60) strike put them ahead, before Mothobi Mvala (66) scored what proved to be a consolation.

The final result of the weekend came from the most thrilling of the quarter-finals in terms of goals as City beat Baroka FC 4-3 at the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Goals from Lehlohonolo Majoro (8) and Bhongolwethu Jayiya (20) put Eric Tinkler's men well ahead, before Mathari Mothupa (45) halved the deficit in first-half stoppage time.

Jacky Motshegwa (59) drew the scores level, before two goals in stoppage time made it 3-3 - Given Mashikinya scoring for City and Mzwanele Mahashe then levelling.

But Sibusiso Masina (115) had the final say as the Cape side reached the last four for the first time